One of my favorite elements in EP is the use of muses - the limited, personal AIs via which everyone interacts with digital resources. Usually acquired in childhood most people keep the same muse program for life, upgrading and developing it as they grow and change themselves. Muses have learning algorithms and are ultimately able to customize and anticipate on their own, giving their users what they want or doing what they need, often before being asked for it. For most, the relationship becomes personal and reassuring, an extension of one's own personality that becomes a constant and loyal companion.
Most people customize their muses to fit their own sensibilities - some have avatars that appear/behave as relatives, famous people, fictional characters, historical figures, alien creatures, cartoons, anthropomorphic inanimate objects - whatever. Some interface through spoken words, AR, full VR, induced recall, encrypted symbology, interpretive dance, or their own exotic, two-user languages - however the user cares to develop his/her/its/theys muse.
Some of the practical uses of muses are described on page EP-244. These are extensive, but I anticipate that clever players such as yourselves are likely to make even more robust use of muse capabilities. Accordingly I want to collect some specific information about each of your characters' muses using another questionnaire. They are essentially mini-NPCs in their own rights and since I will be role playing them I want to know how you imagine your muse so I can portray it appropriately.
No comments:
Post a Comment